Drinking coffee can do a lot more than keeping you awake in the morning. The beverage has been proven to have many health benefits that goes beyond allowing you to get through a busy day. Studies have found that coffee contains nutrients that reduce your chance of developing life-threatening diseases such as cancer, heart disease, and liver damage.
To help you understand what coffee can do for your body, here are 7 natural health benefits of coffee that would justify your every cup.
- Fight Against Free Radicals. Coffee is rich in antioxidant that protects the body from the harmful effects of free radicals. Free radicals are unpaired electrons that damage cells causing skin aging and various diseases such as cancer and asthma. Antioxidant fights these harmful compounds by repairing cell damage and generating new healthy cells to keep the body healthy.
- Burn Fats. The beverage increases the body’s metabolic rate and helps breakdown cholesterol which makes it easier to lose weight especially when combined with exercise and good diet. Coffee also stimulates nerve cells which improves physical performance allowing you to exercise more efficiently.
- Prevent Heart Disease. Cardiovascular diseases like coronary heart disease are caused by atherosclerosis, a disease in which plaques build-up in the arteries causing them to narrow and making it difficult to carry oxygen-rich blood to the heart and other parts of the body. These plaques are mostly made of fats and cholesterol. The capacity of the coffee to breakdown cholesterol is a great help in this condition as it prevents the build-up of plaques and thus regulates the normal blood flow in the body.
- Protects the Liver. Regular drinking of coffee prevents liver cancer and other liver conditions including cirrhosis, the end stage of liver damage. Studies have found that drinking one to three cups of coffee a day slows the progression of liver diseases as it reduces liver enzymes levels which indicates inflammation and cell damage in the liver.
- Good for the Brain. Coffee contains bioactive compounds that boost brain functions allowing you to have more focus and improve your memory. Furthermore, the beverage is also linked to the prevention of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. Coffee prevent the build-up of beta-amyloid plaques in the brain which interrupts brain cells functions causing memory loss and behavioral problems in patients with neurodegenerative disease.
- Lower Risk of Type 2 Diabetes. The disease occurs when the body becomes insulin resistant. Studies have shown that high consumption of coffee improve insulin sensitivity allowing the body to use insulin efficiently. Moreover, coffee can prevent the development of the disease as it helps in burning fats and the regulation of blood pressure. Obesity and high blood pressure are two of the major risk factors of type 2 diabetes.
- Improved Your Mood. It’s not just the aromatic smell and delicious taste of coffee that improves your mood. The beverage actually contains a special hormone called dopamine, popularly known as the happy hormone, which is responsible for the brain’s reward system. It is associated with pleasurable sensation making us experience happiness.
ฺBy : Isabella Whitmore